Saturday, July 11, 2009

Finding My Groove



I had a very productive day in the studio today. Lately its been a struggle there, and I've often felt like I wasn't accomplishing much of anything except spinning my wheels. Over the past few months my studio practice was sporadic and rarely was I privileged with back to back sessions like I've had this week. Time was usually short and I would head to the studio just to tackle a specific task; stretch and prime this canvas, transfer that drawing, or cut down that piece of wood. Needless to say, there are quite a few projects started and not too many completed.

When I look back at some of my most recent sessions I can take note that I wasn't particularly motivated and I was usually too exhausted to give it my all. Even when I did feel well rested and had an entire day to spend in the studio, I would get there and it didn't feel right. I would haphazardly start work on a painting and nothing would come of it. I've continued to produce, but not at the level that I expect to. To a certain degree, I was out of practice and by the time I got going it was time to wrap it up. After that it was usually an entire week would pass before I would be able to devote a significant chunk of time to continue working, and by that time there would be something else clamoring for my attention.

Today was different. It was the third straight day that I was in the studio, and the second of which I was able to devote an entire day! Earlier in the week I was able to put in a couple of 3 or 4 hour sessions, and yesterday I put in about 6 to 7 hour session. Today I put in close to 9 hours! What a great feeling. After weeks of frustration, it truly feels like I'm finding my groove again.

No comments:

Post a Comment